Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The start of Needy Stitches

I started Needy Stitches in January, 2009 after looking around for somewhere to donate some knitting I had done. After an exhausting search I found many craft groups in the U.S.A. but nothing in Australia. I had to wonder about this because I had heard and seen on TV that there were many people homeless and with the economic crisis that was looming they were predicting that many more people would find themselves in crisis.

I have always been good at organising things so thought that if I had found a need in Australia for this kind of thing I would be able to start a group and help other 'crafters' to have somewhere to place their items to help those less fortunate. So Needy Stitches was born!!

I spent a lot of time setting the group up, attempting to get the name known to both crafters and organisations that could use our skills. In the first year we did fairly well considering we were a brand new group and still trying to let people know about us. The second year seemed to explode with many new crafters coming on board as well as many new organisations who had heard about us or found us on the net. So far this year we have donated over 25,000 items to various organisations around Australia and now we are becoming more well known and with more people finding themselves in some kind of crisis the need for our group is growing.

I decided to start this blog in an attempt to let members and helpers of our group know what we are up to, what is needed the most and also some of the reactions and nice things that are said about us. Also many people ask me what kind of craft I do so I thought this would be the pleace to add pics of what I am making or completed and also post a couple of easy patterns.

Feel free to add any comments and if you have any suggestions of what you would like to see on this blog please do not hesitate to email me at needystitches@gmail.com.

Our website address is www.needystitches.com

No comments:

Post a Comment